The problem. Kenya enviable environment and significant untapped or unexploited natural
resources which include people, land, water, forest, minerals, and wildlife. The
government has over the years ignored the importance of protecting our environment
and natural resources. This is due to poor physical planning strategies where the
government was unable to stop the destruction of forests, to create room for new
settlements. This reduced our catchments areas leading to soil erosion, which was
aggravated by the unchecked harvesting of sand and overgrazing. Destruction of forests,
charcoal burning, premature fish harvesting, industrial pollution, dumping of cellophane
and plastic materials on the land surface, which seriously caused environment degradation,
have become the order of the day all over Kenya. Further, unchecked pollution has
caused serious environmental and health problems.
Policy Vision. Shirikisho believes that the resources and the environment do not belong
to any particular generation. We have the responsibility to utilize all resources
to benefit all generations stewarding the same for the present and future generations.
The party realizes the importance of a healthy policy on environment particularly
the protection of the vulnerable eco-system. The party wishes to surmount a serious
challenge of balancing between the protection of the environment and the rights of
Action. Shirikisho will:
1. Develop an environmental policy that protects the ecological system.
2. Utilize natural resources for the benefit of all, both this and coming generations.
3. Create awareness in soil erosion and better farming methods that protect the environment.
4. Set regulations on exploration and exploitation and or mining of minerals in order
to protect the environment.
5. Develop new building techniques where less sand can be used by introducing coconut
husks, lime, grass and soil for making interlocking blocks.
6. Introduce renewable resources in place of charcoal such as, solar, coffee husks,
biogas, sugarcane tufts for electricity generations so as to lower electricity tariffs.
7. Generate more electricity from rivers, geothermal, solar and inverters and encourage
the use of nuclear power.
8. Discourage the use of wooden electric poles and introduce concrete precast poles.
9. Create awareness on the danger of pollution to our environment.
10. Banning the use of non-decomposing polythene bags and introduce the use of decomposable
11. Devolve the management of environment and natural recourses to the Regions.
12. Encourage planting of trees to improve catchments areas.