The Problem Kenya’s human rights constitutional provisions have remained static failing
to incorporate the entire scope of human rights. Despite being signatory to all United
Nations human rights conventions, it has failed to domesticate this into its constitution
or status. Consequently, important human existence are not basic, civil, economic
and political rights which are equally fundamental to human existence are not implemented.
As a result Kenyans have suffered great human rights violation, for instance, failure
to provide clean water, shelter and food to the infants has led to increased child
immortality rate. Further, our failure to implement economic and labour rights has
led to exploitation of the workers by exposing them to poor working conditions. Also
it has denied women right to both maternity leave and maternal care.
Laxity in implementation of human rights has created room for investors to ignore
fundamental environmental issues leading to environmental degradation and pollution.
Failure by the government to educate people on their rights as resulted to rampant
human rights abuse due to ignorance. This has also contributed to excessive bureaucracy
in public offices denying the people access to essential services that they deserve,
for example, violation such as arbitrary arrests, illegal searches, detention without
trial still occur with impunity. Also harassing of the media has reappeared.
Policy Vision Shirikisho envisions a government which is accountable to its people
that respect the fundamental human rights issues. We also see a country where the
ratification and domestication of international conventions that promote human rights.
Action. Shirikisho will:
1. Ratify and domesticate all United Nation conventions on human rights.
2. Educate and empower the people on their rights.
3. Strengthening the existing human rights frameworks such as the use of the Kenya
National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) and the Gender Commission.
4. Reduce excessive bureaucracy for the people to easily access essential services.
5. Ensure that justice is easily accessible by all.
6. Enhance the media independence as an important information tool.
7. Protect our environment and eco-system in order to prevent environment degradation